For Boys Hope Girls Hope scholars, a college education is not a daydream.
College is an expectation..
From the first day a child joins our program, he or she participates in a full range of college-preparatory exercises–the College Road.
The College Road is designed not only to prepare our scholars for college, but to make the idea of college real to them and prepare them for all aspects of the college experience: dorm life, applying for and receiving financial aid, and how to handle the stress of the experience.
(In Latin America, these programs are adapted to meet local cultures as well as local paths to higher education).
College Road exercises and activities take place both during the school year and during the summer, and include:
- Campus Camp–7th graders’ introduction to campus life. To learn more about Campus Camp and see how it changes the lives of our scholars, please click here.
- College Preparation Seminar– Provides incoming high school seniors with an overview of the college selection, application and financial assistance processes while incoming college freshmen discuss the practical issues of independent living and academic life
- Teen Read Week Reading Requirements – Nationwide efforts to improve literacy skills
- Junior⁄Senior College Preparation Tool Kits
- On-line scholar portfolios
- Peer gatherings providing support from other first–generation college students
- Individualized academic and personal guidance
- Crisis intervention