To nurture and guide motivated young people in need
to become well-educated, career-ready men and women for others.
Deadline: Open Until Filled
Status: Regular Full-time
Type: Mid-Level/Director Management Level
Location: Detroit, MI
Director of Development
Boys Hope Girls Hope of Detroit is one of 16 affiliates across the United States and Latin America. We are a privately funded nonprofit whose mission is to nurture and guide motivated young people in need to become well-educated, career-ready men and women for others. Boys Hope Girls Hope provides high quality services to residential, community-based and college students so that they can become successful in college and beyond.
The position requires a passionate, collaborative, innovative, and energetic leader who is a self-starter and achieves fundraising goals as identified by the Detroit affiliate.
The Development Director provides leadership in Boys Hope Girls Hope (BHGH) fundraising, grant writing and development activities with an emphasis on special event management, individual donor cultivation, marketing and branding, and community engagement. The incumbent is responsible for establishing and maintaining relationships with a wide variety of constituents including board members, individuals, corporations, volunteers, and the public to secure donations and support and increase awareness. This position reports to Executive Director.
Special Events Management:
- Lead and oversee all activities related to BHGH’s special events, as well as recommend and implement major events as needed to increase donor sponsorship. Provide general oversight and management by identifying, cultivating, and soliciting event support, sponsorships, participation, committee management, volunteers, logistics (venue, program, day-of activities), donor appreciation, recognition, follow-up, marketing, and awareness.
- Provide support and coordination for Third Party events. Lead the organization in evaluating and implementing other event-based revenue streams, including grant writing.
Donor Cultivation and Stewardship:
- In coordination with the Executive Director, implement a plan to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individual donors to meet our annual individual revenue goal, Charitable Tax Credit goal, and direct appeal. Lead efforts to create meaningful donor recognition opportunities to increase major gifts.
- Provide overall leadership and management of the Salesforce donor database system ensuring that the agency is utilizing the tool for effective donor data management and use.
- Provide support to and participate in development related Board activities, the Board Development Committee, and other event committees, as necessary.
- Ensure exceptional donor and volunteer care/relationship management, including follow up and appropriate recognition, in coordination with Executive Director.
Marketing and Awareness:
- Oversee BHGH’s marketing initiatives including press releases, media outreach, and other awareness efforts. Responsible for providing consistent branding and effectiveness, and handling and archiving agency photos and media hits.
- Create and execute BHGH communications strategy encompassing social media, website, annual reports, print and electronic newsletters, electronic messaging, and traditional mailings. Provide oversite and recommendations of website as it relates to fundraising efforts, donor activity and engagement.
- Develop and facilitate agency outreach opportunities (businesses, schools, churches, civic groups, etc.) to increase awareness and support by identifying and participating in community fairs, public speaking opportunities, volunteer fairs and projects.
- Oversees donor data entry and community outreach activities.
- Provide administrative management of these development activities including, timelines, budgets, contact lists, correspondence, meeting materials and minutes.
- Support other agency and program activities as assigned.
- Participate in activities outside normal working hours. May require weekend or evening time.
- The ideal candidate will have knowledge of the local charitable community, superb written and verbal communication skills, excellent organizational skills, and a track record of fundraising success for a nonprofit organization
- Solid relationships and potential funding opportunities as well as an understanding of how to navigate resources within the City of Detroit.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in event planning and execution, public relations, marketing or fundraising for a non-profit organization and a bachelor’s degree in related field.
- Ability to engage and inspire active community support of BHGH and convey a message of passion for the BHGH mission of serving youth through educational and values-based programs. Comfort and effectiveness with public speaking.
- Professional appearance, attitude, and representation of BHGH is always necessary.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong organizational skills
- Excellent computer/software skills. Graphic design and website skills preferred. Knowledge of Salesforce CRM preferred.
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment managing many varied tasks.
- Must have valid State of Michigan driver’s license and ability to complete errands including lifting/transporting in-kind donations. Must pass state, federal background checks and other screening required for working with youth.
Bordering Canada, Detroit is a metropolitan city known for its rich and extensive history. Detroit offers a host of entertainment options, and sports as the home of Motown, the MLB Tigers, NFL Detroit Lions, the NBA Pistons, and the NHL Red Wings. Detroit is an affordable place to live and work! For more information about our Detroit affiliate visit bhghdetroit.org.